Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Farm Market Fresh




I like the idea of knowing the name of the farmer who grew my food. At the “Adams County Farm Fresh Markets” you have the chance to do just that. I bought salad greens from the nice ladies from White Rose Farm, in Taneytown, MD. For two dollars I took home a zip-lock bag filled with mixed greens, spinach and a green onion thrown in. I also picked up a pint of strawberries so fresh they still had a little dirt on them.

The farmers market is set up on Wednesdays from 2:30pm to 7:00pm at Gettysburg Rec Park, next to the Sterner Building on Long Lane. They also set up at The Outlet Shoppes at Gettysburg on Friday and Saturday. Adams County Farm Fresh Markets sell only produce that is locally grown within an 80-mile radius of Gettysburg.


Getting the chance to talk directly with the farmers is a highlight of visiting the market. The owner of Heirloom Farms, near Fairfield, told me he wants to know the story behind the food he grows. His farm sells spinach grown from seeds that came from Thomas Jefferson’s Monticello. He says this variety was the President’s favorite.

The farm market is not just about heirloom tomatoes and homemade rhubarb pie. Along with debit cards, they also accept SNAP (formerly called food stamps). Families participating in the SNAP program have the opportunity to purchase 20 dollars worth of produce for 10 dollars.

Locally grown, fresh food just tastes better. It is also better for our health and less harmful to our environment. I would much rather buy from local farmers instead of giving any more money to industrial-run food corporations. So I hope you will join me and eat better, eat LOCAL!


See the farmers market at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPuRSQUE3vI

No comments:

Post a Comment